*Ten things to know about addiction:
- Drug use is chosen behaviour.
- Drug problems emerge gradually.
- Once well established, drug problems tend to become self-perpetuating.
- Motivation is central to prevention and intervention.
- Drug use responds to reinforcement.
- Drug problems do not occur in isolation, but as part of behavior clusters.
- There are identifiable and modifiable risk and protective factors for problem drug use.
- Drug Problems occur within a family context.
- Drug problems are affected by a larger social context.
- Relationship matters
*extracted from Rethinking Substance Abuse: What the Science Shows, and What We Should Do About it (2006): William R. Miller and Kathleen M. Carroll. The Guilford Press, New York.